Wife being tortured by husband and in-laws for dowry, please advise

Dear sir! I urgently seek your advice with regard to my sister's marital life.It's been almost 16 years hence she had been married but right from the very first day till now she had been facing extreme mental as well as physical abuse.Under pressure we tried to fulfill every demands of my her inlaws.But even after marriage her husband and in laws kept asking for dowry and tortured her a lot.She went to file complaint in a nearby police station but the matter was been suppressed with involvement of Thana incharged(may be he was bribed).Even after all their attempts when my sister didn't bring further dowry for her in laws ,they adopted another strategy.They asked my sister's husband to keep mentally and physically torturing my sister without actually asking for dowry ,so as to provoke her to commit suicide.My sister has two children ,both aging above 8 years. Expecting your sincere guidance in this regard...

Answers (4)

263 votes

If police are not taking any action apply to the Commissioner office [ladies cell]. Probably they will take action in this regard. Otherwise you can also file a private complaint of 498[a] of Indian Penal Code in the court if the police authorities are reluctant to take action. Other action which you can take is filing of the application under The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 in the court. That way the law will be set in motion. If your sister decides to stay separately from the husband and in-laws then she will be able to claim maintenance from the husband too under various laws.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

296 votes

If local police station is not taking cognizance, you can approach higher authority like deputy commissioner or commissioner of police and if then also no body takes cognizance, you can file complaint to the magistrate. He will order inquiry in this matter by police.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
136 votes

Dear client, there are many options available. Under domestic violence act she can file complaint.she can inform the senior police officer in writing that P.I is refusing to lodge for. She can move High court by filing writ petition and direct police to lodge for. She can also leave house and claim maintenance unsolder sec 125 or move family court for maintenance.

285 votes

Sir She should file an FIR in the nearest police station & since they are refusing meet the ACP who generally meets public on saturdays to resolve greviance , she should also send her complain by RPAD to commioner's office. Secondly meet the protection officer in that area and with her consent he will file her matter of domestic violence in court. Anytime he is violent she should call 103 police helpline mumbai for women. For further clarification she can meet me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles