Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Where shall Indian citizen apply divorce if he married US citizen

I m an indian citizen married to a us citizen girl and after marriage we never stayed together, she went usa nd i stayed back here. I dont have any us visa to go and file divorce. And she is not interested to come here So if any one parties apply for divorce in their own country , so if other member is not available to attend the precedings what will happen. Will my wife get divorce there n in india i wi be still consider as married.. and if she claims some alimony, did i hv to pay that,, whatl be the scenario in my case

Answers (3)

you can file for divorce, the Jurisdiction will be - the district court where you both got married,
- if you both lived after marriage even for a day together district court of that place
If you both have lived separably for more than a year, you can file it immediately. or you can also file restitution of conjugal rights section 9 application asking your wife to come to you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

firstly as per your details i think your marriage has been done under the special marraige act and since ur living here u can file the divorce under ur jurisdictional court and seek divorce and the summons will be served to your wife through court and if she fails to response you will get an exparte decree and will be entitled to get divorce

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

You can file a divorce proceeding here in india with proper proof of marriage,then you have to send the same to your wife in USA,this process is called SR.ie service of summons ,in the next date so fixed if she dies not appear then the case will be declared ex parte.for more info you can contact me.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 999
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 25000
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hi I am hindu & I got married 1 week back but I do not want to continue in this marriage. I have a boyfriend for the past 3 yrs who is a muslim wi…

Read More

Its been almost 11.5months of my marriage and things have gone completely south ways. The person I thought is most realiable turned out to be the pers…

Read More

My wife threatened to put me and my family in jail using all the false reasons. She has not taken any action so far but can I proactively take any mea…

Read More

I have got married in 2012..my wife is mentally ill, although looks normal but her behavior is not normal.... My son is 5yrs old... It's very tuff…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue