What is the procedure for mutual divorce and how much time it takes?

Me and my husband are now married for 1 year and 1 month. We both are willing to divorce each other. What is the procedure for doing the same? How long does it take to finalize?

Answers (1)

You have been married for only 1 year and 1 month, in order to apply for divorce you marriage must be atleast 1 year old which you fulfil, but in order to apply for divorce by mutual consent or under any other ground/s both of you must be living apart or separate from matrimonial house for atleast 1 year, which must be proved by you, Living in the same house but in two different rooms also qualifies for mutual divorce.
Both parties must be present at the time of filing the petition by mutual consent, after which 6 months waiting period is given and then both parties must appear and thereafter the court will grant the divorce.
If marriage is consumated and if the wife gets pregnant then the quantum of compensation and alimony must be decided and reduced into writing as well and this must be handed over to the court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

myself 30 yrs old nd 5 years i loved a guy mutually nd before 1 yrs my lover got marry vit someother guy due to some raeson but now i have to marry be…

Read More

6 months married couple., girl might have other benificial committments., hence proposed by her to cut marrital relations by way of mutual consent.,bo…

Read More

I hv 2 children aged 1.5 yrs & 6 yrs in 8 yrs of marriage. I m.a freelancer writer earning 20000 monthly, depending on work flow. Husband is army …

Read More

Husband lives in australia.Married from last 3 years but only 3 months we stay together.so no understanding at all. Want mutual divorce. How much time…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue