Multiple Maintenance under sec 24 and CrPC 125

Dear Sir, Due my wife's intolerant torture, I have divorced. In turn she filed false 498a initially. Later the court where I filed divorce, she was granted 7k interim maintenance under sec 24 until disposal of divorce petition. She filed one more case DV with maintenance undersec 125 crpc. Is it legally allowed seek maintenance under two different section?

Answers (2)

77 votes

Yes, it is legally allowed for a wife to seek maintenance from husband under two different sections. There is no stopping her from doing so. Please note that grant of interim maintenance under Section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act is in itself not a ground for rejecting a petition filed under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. As per maintenance laws in India, if a woman has already claimed maintenance under section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, she can legally claim maintenance under section 125 of Cr.P.C simultaneously. Courts have, in several judgments, ruled that remedy under section 125 and Sec. 24 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 are independent and not relevant to each other.There is no conflict between the two provisions. A person may sue for maintenance under section 125 of Cr.P.C. If a person has already obtained maintenance order under his or her personal law, the magistrate while fixing the amount of maintenance may take that into consideration while fixing the quantum of maintenance under the Code.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

196 votes

Maintenance can be filed under any one section only and not otherwise. Since your wife has already been awarded maintenace in divorce case she cannot claim maintenance under 125 cr.p.c. u need to file a quash petition to quash the 125 cr.p.c petition

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles