Married since 7 months. Living apart since then. How to file divorce?

I was married since 7 months. Due to issues between us we have not lived together since then. The issues are not dowry or any violence they're terms we agreed upon while settling for this marriage. I'm eligible to apply for divorce? Please advise how to proceed and what are the options i've.

Answers (3)

328 votes

Minimum period of one year required to apply for divorce. it is advised to go for mutual filing. Within a period of 6 months yowill get divorce. This does not involve much of hassels in getting the divorce. Only two appearance is required. One at the time of applying and one after six months period.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

161 votes

Indian laws do not permit to apply for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce within one year from the date of marriage until specially permitted by a court of law after hearing
the petition and arguments of both the sides.
However if the marriage was not consummated due to the the respondent being an impotent, a petition to annul the marriage within one year from the date of such knowledge may be filed in the appropriate jurisdictional court of law.
You make sure your position and status and come back with more query on the subject.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
282 votes

I bring to your kind attention that, if you are Hindu, you will have to wait for one year from the date of marriage for dissolving your marriage through court of law. If your marriage is void or voidable marriage, then you can file for declaring the marriage as null and void immediaetely. For any further detailed clarification you can contact me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles