Husband not giving maintenance how to get same for self and child

I am a Christian women. its been 5 years for our marriage. I have 1 n half year child & my husband has not been giving any money for our expenses. I have been working for our daily living. My husband drinks a lot & has no stable work. could you please guide me whether should i go ahead with the marriage or should i go for a divorce. i also don't want to give the custody of my child to him.

Answers (3)

224 votes

Marriage is a cardinal relationship, it cannot be judged in these five lines provided by you here, I would always tell you to ask a question to yourself weather such a step is necessary for you to be taken because it will change atleast three life's... you can always get a divorce if your spouse fullfil's grounds for divorce, there are number of grounds but for such a step in your life to be taken you will need few hours of counseling... which will make your mind confirmed what to do ? Well how to do is easy then what to do... you can always contact me when you are in need of legal assistance...

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

126 votes

Hi dear,
If the husband does not taking any responsibility of both of you, what is the use of the marriage and commitments, 5 years is a long period and in these five years he did not give any importance to you and child what is the guarantee in future, my suggestion is, better you go to the lawyer take an advice and file for divorce, atleast after the order of the court he will be liable for giving maintenance to both of you. Atleast you can move ahead in your life.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
284 votes

You can file a case for maintenance under section 125 of criminal procedure code for getting maintenance from your husband for as well as your children court will grant a maintenance for both of your daily needs.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles