Husband files for divorce on irretrievable breakdown of marriage

My husband file a divorce on 23 October 2017 in USA , now I am in india and my husband too, but I don't want to give him a divorce , he wants divorce on the basis of irreconcilable differences and forcing me to give the divorce . My in-laws throw me out of the house , as my husband will get ex-parte divorce after 2 months , what are my rights according to indian law, may that divorce is legal in india?? What should I do now? We got married on 16 May 2017 and after 10 days went to USA and stayed their for 5 months , and now we are in india from last 2 months , my in-laws took all of my stridhan, what will be the legal process I should do??

Answers (2)

208 votes

you should make police complaint regarding the harassment, and foriegn decree from foriegn court shall not be valid unless and until it is being excuted from appropriate court of jurisdiction in India, so therefore you make move filimaiace application before appropriate court of law,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

58 votes

There are many ways for you to fight against this injustice caused to you by your in-laws. Divorce petition filed in USA will be not valid since you got married in India. Secondly you can separatly file case against your husband and his family members here in India

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles