How to file a divorce if a spouse is absconding

Married under HMA in Aug'09, she went in Oct'14 on pretext to meet her parents in UAE, since then till date no clues of her address and contact details, she contacts only through emails. Please help: 1.Can I get divorce on account of abondonment? 2. Necessary to put cruelty or any other allegations on her? 3.How can I get exparte? 4.Alternate for unable to make service of summons? 5.Maximum time to sort out the matter.

Answers (3)

In the era of communication, the court are also using electronic methods such as whatsapp, email etc for the service of summons. You seem to be having sufficient ground for filing divorce, file it on the basis of her last know address and request the court to issue summons through email and whatsapp also.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear Sir, you can file a petition with the local court where you both resided together before she left for Dubai on the grounds of desertion and adultery. It is important that certain facts be collected and confirmed such as the address of her parents, your attempts to contact her and the correspondence between you and your wife (emails or whatever). It is fairly easy to prove the physical act of separation/desertion from her conduct and therefore you can get the divorce. She would be served through post if an address is available, or email or in worse case summon by way of publication. If she fails to appear on repeated notice, you will be granted ex-parte divorce. It is not possible to comment over the maximum time as it would depend on the facts as well in which court the case is instituted. Usually it takes a year or two.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience

You can file a case on ground of desertion in the Hindu marriage age and the process is going to go as a trial in the court and the decree will be in your favour and will be a valid divorce decree....

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hi, My wife has captured screenshots of me talking with other girls. Mobile was locked, and she got access by "guessing" my password. At the…

Read More

My Husband is physically abusive and also harasses me and my patents mentally for silly things. What action can I take against him. Im having two son,…

Read More

Dis is wd ref to exparte divorce of my frnd & i want to knw how long does it takes as he started this case in june 2016 n now dey hv got exparte a…

Read More

Hello Sir, My friend got married 6 yrs back and she dont have mother in law and father in law is advocate. Her husband has affires with other girls an…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue