×

quesGirl is against the dowry but family is supporting dowry system

I do not want my family to give dowry in my marriage. In our community it is ok and normal and a matter of pride to give and take more and more dowry as it creates a certain status for the families. I personally do not endorse it and am against it. A flat, a car worth lakhs, cash , jewellery beyond several other household items amounts to proper dowry. Its not a case of forced dowry. The family willingly agrees cz they want the girl to be married and they are doing this for her good. But isn't this dowry? Especially when the girl herself does not want it to be this way. What should be done?

• ansGiving and taking dowry, both are prohibited and is offence under dowry prohibition act, however since you shall not initiate any action against your own family, you can speak with them to share your thoughts. One may refer to these items as gifts in the event these are willingly given to bride by parents of bride and not demanded by Groom and his family.

Advocate Vivek Nasa

Gurgaon District Court, Gurgaon