Foreign court grant divorce to couple married under HMA in Australia

sir My husband and I am permanent resident of Australia from 2012. due to domestic viloence and dowry demand i hd to lodge police complaint in India and based on my evidences invetsigation occured for 1 year and then FIR was lodged. Now my husband filled for the divorce in Australia and showed false affidavit of living two years apart. I have evidences that separation date an dperiod is disputed. I filled my objections with hindu marriage law of 1955 and also that my husban dmade the fals eaffidavit of separation and i have proofs. I also explaine dabout criminal and civil procceedings onging in India but judge did not considering anything. afte rreply now i got a lette rthat very soon we have two hour hearing in which court will grant the divorce. if hindu couple can getdivorce by hindu law then how come w ecan rais ethis law in foreign court where no one is caring? It is nw impossible to get justice

Answers (2)

154 votes

Dear, as per law your divorce should be as per Hindu law but there is condition that if you contested the divorce even if it is in Australia as per their law then that divorce will be valid in India. Only one sided divorce is not valid. But there are many points and judgments of supreme court of India, which could help you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

107 votes

There are so many things I have to presume you both are in Australia and presume that you are citizens there then your divorce proceedings are governed according to law there then hindu law is not applicable if you are contesting the case you can prove that his affidavit is false then i think divorce will not be granted

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles