Ex-wife harassing me for more alimony. What can i do now?

My 2 daughters are with their mother since our divorce. My ex wife is remarried so am I. We both have a girl each from our second marriage. I had agreed to pay 10k monthly for the girls at the time of divorce also their school fees. now my ex wife keeps harrassing me for more money for other school activities which I neither agree to nor can afford. I am a single earning member of my family and have 4 dependents on me + two if I include my girls who are in my ex wifes custody. The monthly hassles are getting too much for me, I want to think of a one time settlement. How much can she demand?

Answers (3)

133 votes

Dear Client,

Demand is always based on Supply............. pls don't mind.
no one can assess how much she will demand but as per my knowledge her demand will be based on your financial status......

its always better to go for a one time settlement.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

64 votes

Dear sir
You have to give permanent alimony to your ex wife in court.
Amount depends on your status and your earnings and on the status of your's ex wife and also on expenses of yours daughters.
One more thing you are not liable to pay maintainance to your ex wife who get married with second person.
You are liable to pay maintainance to your both girls.
If you give permanent alimony in court then you are free.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
147 votes

Your wife may not claim anything except whatever agreed by two of you at the time of divorce, by the way of written settlement (if executed) or terms of Divorce as decided by court during divorce proceedings. In the event you may wast to pay extra, no one shall stop you, however no one can compel you to pay extra unless there was clause during settlement that monthly amount shall increase in certain proportion.

I do not advice one time settlement since:
1. Your daughters may require steady flow of finances, for education.
2. Your daughters shall have right in your assets, even if you enter into one time settlement.

FYI :Your wife is not entitled for any maintenance from you post her remarriage.

For any clarification you may contact me.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles