Can I marry a boy who is already married without he taking divorce

Hi, i am --- me n my bf are friends for 2-3yrs in between he had to get marry with other girl due to some family pressure n urgency but he has not shared any physical relation with that girl n v r still in relatioship, now we want to take this relation one step ahead, i am pregnant n we want to get married but the problem is his wife is not ready to leave him even then she knows that he dont love her so plz advice us what do should we do? Would we be able to live together without any hinderence? Plz advice us .........will be your great help!!

Answers (5)

292 votes

You can't get marry with that boy because Indian law says that First you get divorce. First wife or husband then get Merry, if you get merry without taking divorce it ll be illegal and firstly you allso can't get merry with any boy because you are pregnant. Pregnancy time any merry are void are law says that when any pregnant girl do merry it's mean baby also get Merry with girl

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

240 votes

Nobody can marry a person who has a living husband or wife. Section 5 of Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 clearly states that Either of the parties at the time of marriage shall not have a living husband or wife. If anyone wants to marry then he/ she needs to legally divorce his/her spouse otherwise such marriage will be void ab initio.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
157 votes

Under the Hindu Marriage Act you cannot marry someone who is already married unless he gets a divorce. As per Section 5 (i) of the Hindu Marriage Act , marriage can be solemnized between two people if:

neither of the two have a spouse living at the time of marriage

As per Section 15 of the Hindu Marriage Act,
When a marriage has been dissolved by a decree of divorce it shall be lawful for either party to the marriage to marry again.

54 votes

You can contact one good lawyer who deals matrimonial cases and it is possible to get your relief as you claim but first up all your friend need to do work as per our advice and than only you can get relief

74 votes

Without getting divorce from his lawfully married wife he can't marry you. Because the first marriage is still in existence and if the first wife knows about it she can file a complaint against this man for bigamy which is a criminal offence. So better get divorce from the first wife. But what he had done is exploitation. He has exploited you and cheated the first wife. Further the still born baby will be in trouble.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles