Can i file a divorce case on behalf my brother who is in US.

My brother is based in US. He wants to file a divorce case against his wife due to compatibility issues. His wife is in India. He currently cant take long leave and visit India.Is he required to come to India to file the case ? Will his job be affected due to the case ? On behalf him, as a sister can I file the case ? looking forward to your advise.

Answers (4)

278 votes

Dear client,
There r certain legal formalities for which the partys to the divorce need to remain present in the court. Other occassions can be taken care by lawyer by requesting court about the job status n all.
There should not be effect of the divorce case so far as the job is concerned.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

270 votes

yes you can file the case on behalf of your brother. you need to obtain power of attorney from your brother and on the basis of poa; you can file the case. at the time of evidence, your brother can come and give evidence. normally judges are co-operative in such matters and your brother could get suitable dates

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
278 votes


In these circumstances, we need to seek permission of the court for representation of the case through your appearance.
It is quite possible that you will be able to represent your brother.

Contact for detailed advice

126 votes

Dear client u can file divorce on the behalf of yr brother here in India. For that u have to take power of attorny ftom yr brother. Then only u can appear on the behalf of him in the court. For any legal help call me

Adv prasad patil


Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles