Can I Change the Grounds for my Divorce?

I filed my case in tambaram in 2016 dec seeking divorce in desertion ground ( 3years) as per the advice of my lawyer. But I explained the lawyer regarding the mental and physical cruelty of my husband. He told we will put like this you will get easily divorce and if he is not coming we will get expartie.Now the respondent came and he is protesting to give divorce because I am an government employee trying take benefit out of it. Now whether I can change the ground from desertion to cruelty and desertion. Is there any problem in changing the ground.

Answers (1)

161 votes

In the ground for desertion, what is the reason for desertion? Have you made any reference to any cruelty at all. Has your husband filed his counter in the Petition? If he has not filed his counter then you can file a petition for amendment and add the ground for cruelty. If you are in Chennai and need any further assistance then you can contact me. Kindly contact me to discuss the case in detail so that I can give proper guidance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles