Can a divorce petition be put on hold

02-May-2023 (In Divorce Law)
I have filed a divorce case on my wife on cruelty ground. She has to reply on my Petition this month in court. My parents have asked me to give my wife another few months. Is it possible to put a case on hold for six months and then initiate it again if required. Also what is the process of simply withdrawing it. Will there be any problem in court if i initiate the proceedings again e.g. do they maintain a record and can my next petition if required be quashed by court because i have withdrawn this in past one time.
Answers (5)

Answer #1
510 votes
As your case is pending before the court, you can make a noint request before the court and the matter can be send to mediation on joint request, there you can try for the settlement or you can ask for some more time

Answer #2
747 votes
Yes sir you can withdraw your divorce petition any day but it will a scope to your wife to file a divorce against on this basis. So its better to take the matter to mediation centre and den settle all the terms.
Answer #3
989 votes
Hi there,
Once you file anything before the Court, it becomes record and you shall have to mention the details of this case in any of your petitions you file it later in the years.
Be that as it may, with respect to your query, you may mention to the Court that you want to efforts and try and settle the matter with your wife within a reasonable time failing and till that time keep teh matter "sine die" or you may ask for a longer date which can be for 3-4 months and then extend it further. At tgis stage, the court may give you an option to withdraw the petition with liberty by giving the statement that you want to give one more chance to the relationship and incase the efforts are failed, then you may approach the court again.
For any further inquiry, please contact.
Answer #4
988 votes
Yes, you can file an application to dismiss your case as withdrawn. But it's unlikely the opposite party, that is your wife will be okay with it. She will file for divorce even if u withdraw. And for the second query, since your case will be dismissed as withdrawn, the outcome of your next petition will not be affected.
Answer #5
811 votes
Sir auctully you can not put a case on hold but you can requst to the court which send you to the medication center where you can take time because court date will be after all after one month and you can do what you trying to fix your relationship with your wife
Thank you
A. F. Faizi

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."