Am i liable to pay to my father in law from my monthly salary?

I got married in 2012. My father in law is pressuring me to contribute from my salary at home. I support myself and my child. If i require anything for personal use, i can't ask my husband. He contributes in house but doesn't pay me. I wanted to know, as a daughter in law do i have to pay to my father in law from salary? And if i decide to get separated from my husband am i or my child entitled to alimony from husband? My child is 8 months old, who will get the custody?

Answers (3)

94 votes

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. No you are not required to contribute financially in the manner that you have described. First, you should pack some of your belongings and move in with a relative or a close family friend for the time being. Then you should contact the Crimes Against Women Cell in your area. A quick google search would tell you where the nearest one is. You could even speak with them over the phone as they are very quick to respond. Thereafter, you should first approach the Domestic Violence Court for a protection order that will prevent your husband from further contacting you or your child. The Domestic Violence Court is also the only forum that will provide you with rent for an alternate accommodation. Then you should file applications under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 for maintenance on behalf of your child and yourself. After these steps you could move in for a divorce. You will definitely get custody of the child and the protection order from the Domestic Violence Court will help you in that aspect as well. Get in touch with an Advocate who practices Family Law to help you with the court proceedings. If we could be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out. Hope things get better for you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

230 votes

You are not legally obligated to maintain your parents-in-law. It's the responsibility of the son (your husband) to do that if he is capable of doing so. You will be entitled to alimony from your husband in case of divorce, and the same will be decided as per your financial stability and condition. Your child will be getting child support. Since the child is at such a tender age where he needs the mother at all times, the probability of you getting the custody is higher.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
113 votes

No. You are not bound in any manner to pay anything to your father inlaw. In case u get separated from your husband than you would be entitled to permanent alimony from your husband along with other benefits during the pendency of the case however, the same depends upon the facts and circumstances of your case. He is also supposed to maintain the child and pay for his maintenance. A better opinion can be given after knowing the complete facts etc.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles