Custom seized goods being send by courier to friend. What to do?

In Customs & Central Excise Law
I have sent a courier to a friend outside India. It had few clothes a gold item and one small chain. Now the courier boy is saying that the goods have been seized by custom department. Now is asking for 6 thousand rupees to get the goods through. I have bills of all the items. What can i do?

Answers (1)

82 votes
Hi Sir,

You are smuggling the goods via courier which is illegal. Secondly,the courier boy is lying to you.
In case of seizure Customs Department would have contacted you for statement Under Section 108 of the Customs Act, 1962 and other details. If you have no such update from the Customs Department then the courier person is not giving you correct information.
He cannot get your goods back from the Customs Department so there is no point paying him any money as the Customs Act, 1962 provides that the goods shall never be release to any other person who is not the owner of the goods.

Please do not pay the Courier boy instead get to the root of the issue.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Customs & Central Excise Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
23 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
27 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Customs & Central Excise Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."