US citizen married Indian man files domestic violence case in India

I’m a USA citizen married to an Indian man who is residing in USA on H1B. The marriage took place in Hyderabad, Telangana according to Hindu traditions. It is not registered in India. He has been physically abusive towards me and harassed me for dowry as well. What are my options in India.

Answers (2)

55 votes

if your husband is of indian origin you can definitely forward the case as the act is definitive against all indian origin who are even residing abroad and you can file cases under IPC, Domestic Violence and need to prove the marriage under hindu customs is the burden casted upon you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

349 votes

Madam you can file a case in court stating that you are not happy with the marriage and you are not happy with the behavior of your husband and his family and you are willing to get separated calling him for grant of divorce

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

A Muslim girl is forced to get married.. though she does not want to.. she has turned 18.. last year.. we parents blackmail her saying that they would…

Read More

Me and My boyfriend loved each other and we had physical intimacy...and he said that he will talked to his family about our relationship and marriage,…

Read More

Sir mere bhai ki aaj shadi h. ladki wale hamare sehar ke hi ek marrige house me ladki ko lekar aane wale the but unhone aaj subh hi shadi se inkar kr …

Read More

My wife & I have filed for mutual consent divorce in Feb. Our marriage took place in a very close relationship. In March, I realise that her siste…

Read More