Procedure For Criminal Case After Death

Hi, there was a criminal case against my grandfather and 26 others. My grandfather expired last year. The next hearing is on 15th Jan 2021. Do we need to submit any documents regarding the death of my grandfather?

Answers (2)

274 votes

Yes. Produce the certified copy of the death certificate, file a pursis in the Ld. Court and the charges against the deceased shall stand abated.
Take a certified copy of the order or the roznama after that and submit it to the police station along with a covering letter so that they do not trouble the family members.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

242 votes

Once an accused person dies during the pendency of a trial then his name gets abated from the case and the trial continues against rest of the accused persons. In your case too, your grand father's name will get abated.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles