Penalty for name in the suicide letter

I had a fight with my girlfriend and now she says that she wants to commit suicide. Due to certain family issue, I told her that we probably cannot get married. Now, she is saying that she wants to die and does not want to live. If she commits suicide and puts my name in the suicide letter, can her family put a case against me? Is there a possibility I will go to jail?

Answers (1)

210 votes
If she commits suicide and leaves a note against you then you may be arrested under section 306 of IPC for abetting to commit suicide. Your best bet is to explain to her why you cannot marry her. Try to have a convincing conversation with her. Also send intimation to the local police disclosing the threat by your girlfriend to end her life. Get the letter drafted by your lawyer to be on the safer side.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I belongs to hindu rajput family and I was in relationship with a Muslim guy for almost 9 years. We both were in love and want to marry.he promised me…

Read More

I am a hindu female married for 2 yrs .. My husband is having an affair with a girl and they are physical too as per the sources. They both started a …

Read More

can i punish my gf as she had given commitment to marry me but now neither she nor her family are willing for this marriage,she also had partially phy…

Read More

I had filed a petition in court in order to get maintenance from my husband as he was refusing to give me any money after he got involved in an affair…

Read More