Legal action if passport holder obtains passport giving wrong address

Hi, Is there any way to obtain passport on a address where applicant has not been living? If so, 1. What is penalty/punishment to passport holder or this if discovered after 5 years of issue of passport? 2. What is penalty/punishment to police & CID persons who approved the police verification report of that passport? Thanks

Answers (2)

194 votes

Are you the passport holder? Firstly, it is violative of law to give wrong living address and obtain passport on it so Lawyer cannot help in this illegal act. Discovery of this after 5 or even 10 years makes no difference to cognizance of offence and even process since there is no time limitation for these unlike Civil cases where filing case is restricted by limitation act. At present your first priority should be to prepare your defence and give proper initial response . From this point onwards and on this point Lawyer can help you since it is not a crime to defend an accused or even a criminal, on the other hand, it is the duty of a Lawyer. Knowledgable lawyer in this area is important since experience, knowledge of process, regulations, judicial trends is important.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

339 votes

According to passport act, whoever furnishes any false information or suppresses any material information with a view to obtaining a passport or travel document under this Act or without lawful authority alters or attempts to alter or causes to alter the entries made in a passport or travel document shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees or with both.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles