How to fight false dowry case (Section 498A)?

My wife is threatening to file a false dowry case against me and my family in order to extract money from us. What should I do?


Dowry allegations are taken very seriously by the police and usually instant actions are taken in this regard. So, it is necessary for you to act immediately. If you fear or know that a false 498a complaint is going to be filed against you, you should:-
1. Immediately file for an anticipatory bail in the local district court or the high court. It is best to take the advice of a legal expert in this regard, in order to get your bail plea accepted in court.
2. File a police complaint mentioning blackmailing, threat for false dowry case, or any other thing you have the evidence for.
3. Try to collect as much evidence as possible that can prove your innocence like any written document or recording of any such conversations.
4. Collect any written legal notice they sent to you. This will be used to obtain anticipatory bail and filing counter cases against them for blackmailing, and using forged documents and other counter cases against them. When police person visits with summons take copy of it.
All this will help you strengthen your case and ultimately your wife’s guilt shall be proved.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
26 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

hi. i am accused here. My wife filed 498a based on a private application in court. Incidences are based in different city while case is registered in …

Read More

Hi,my marriage life 2 years, during the period we lived 1.5 years sapereltly, my spouse passed away due to natural death, her father has filed 498a ag…

Read More

I am a Muslim person I have a friend who is Hindu. She used to came with her mother to my home lots of time. She wants to get married to me. She is a …

Read More

I am a serving Indian navy person got married in 2014. After marriage she resides 3 days at my home and we cane to know that she has mental illness si…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue