How to fight false dowry case (Section 498A)?

My wife is threatening to file a false dowry case against me and my family in order to extract money from us. What should I do?

Answer

Dowry allegations are taken very seriously by the police and usually instant actions are taken in this regard. So, it is necessary for you to act immediately. If you fear or know that a false 498a complaint is going to be filed against you, you should:-

1. Immediately file for an anticipatory bail in the local district court or the high court. It is best to take the advice of a legal expert in this regard, in order to get your bail plea accepted in court.
2. File a police complaint mentioning blackmailing, threat for false dowry case, or any other thing you have the evidence for.
3. Try to collect as much evidence as possible that can prove your innocence like any written document or recording of any such conversations.
4. Collect any written legal notice they sent to you. This will be used to obtain anticipatory bail and filing counter cases against them for blackmailing, and using forged documents and other counter cases against them. When police person visits with summons take copy of it.

All this will help you strengthen your case and ultimately your wife’s guilt shall be proved.