Examination of immediate witness according to criminal law

There is a provision for examination of an immediate witness in Civil Procedural Code mentioned in Order 18 Rule 16 of the code. What is the similar provision in criminal law or criminal proceedings ?

The provision in Order 18 Rule 16 CPC relates to examination of witness immediately and not immediate witness. It provides when a witness may not be available on any other date for deposition. A similar provision for such a witness can be found in Section 164 Cr.P.C. which can help such a witness to make a confession or statement before magistrate.

Section 311 in Code of Criminal Procedure,1973

Power to summon material witness or examine person present.
Any court may, at any stage of any inquiry, trail, or other proceeding under this code, summon any person in attendance, though not summoned as a witness or re call and re-examine any person already examined.