CrPC sections applicable in question below

Similar case in India like "A person died in district hospital and his cousin uncle received dead body from hospital and even not informed to deceased person's real relatives at right time but informed after 7 days and hidden the dead body saying that hospital handed over dead body to Municipal corp as unidentified person." Please advise what Indian CrPC sections apply in this case ?

Answers (2)

186 votes


Please specify whether during the said 7 days, body was kept or cremated.. And whether you lodged any complaint with the hospital that why did they handed over the body to some other person.........

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

317 votes

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. The applicable provisions of law would be better found under the Indian Penal Code, 1860 which is a substantive law (it defines offences and prescribes punishments) as opposed to the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 which is a procedural law (it lays down the framework for the enforcement of the substantive law). There are a few provisions of the IPC which may be attracted to your case. Section 166A of the IPC for example makes it an offence for a public servant to disobey a direction of law. Every state has its own prescribed rules for the disposal of bodies by hospitals . If you suspect foul play or gross negligence on part of the hospital then you could very well proceed against them. This would require a study of the applicable rules as they differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and could also differ between public and private institutions. First and foremost you should have an Advocate issue a legal notice to the hospital. Ideally you would then get a written reply explaining what exactly happened. You could also file an RTI application inquiring about the exact procedure to be followed in such cases. Do let me know if I could be of any further help to you. Thank you.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles