Court fee and procedure for a defamation suit.

What is the required court fee and procedure followed in a defamation suit? Is the court fee refundable, if I lose the case?


If someone has made any derogatory remarks against you and you wish to file a suit for defamation against that person, it is important for you to know certain essentials that are required to be present in order to file for defamation. You cannot file a suit for defamation if the comments or remarks made are true, unpublished and qualified.

It is advisable to take the opinion of a lawyer before filing a suit for defamation in order to be sure about your stand in the matter and be clear about other related legalities.

If you are sure about your case, you can file a private complaint of criminal defamation under Section 500 of IPC before the concerned judicial magistrate court. It is important for you to know that you should file the complaint within 2 years (limitation period) from the date the said accusation was made.

If you want to claim damages, in that case you should file a civil defamation suit.

The court fee for a defamation case varies from state to state, so it is better to enquire about the same locally or take guidance from a local lawyer. The court fee to be affixed on the suit shall be non-refundable. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
26 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

my husband and mother in law always abuses through words for eg when i dont get up early and also for not doing any household works,this contunued dur…

Read More

Is there a time period to file case under 497…

Read More

sir fir is imposed on agnaist me u/s153, 148,149,323,324,504,506,307 as accused no 8.,.but this fir is fake... now case is pending at Court... can…

Read More

People use abuse language and called me dalit…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue