Court fee and procedure for a defamation suit.

What is the required court fee and procedure followed in a defamation suit? Is the court fee refundable, if I lose the case?

Answer

If someone has made any derogatory remarks against you and you wish to file a suit for defamation against that person, it is important for you to know certain essentials that are required to be present in order to file for defamation. You cannot file a suit for defamation if the comments or remarks made are true, unpublished and qualified.

It is advisable to take the opinion of a lawyer before filing a suit for defamation in order to be sure about your stand in the matter and be clear about other related legalities.

If you are sure about your case, you can file a private complaint of criminal defamation under Section 500 of IPC before the concerned judicial magistrate court. It is important for you to know that you should file the complaint within 2 years (limitation period) from the date the said accusation was made.

If you want to claim damages, in that case you should file a civil defamation suit.

The court fee for a defamation case varies from state to state, so it is better to enquire about the same locally or take guidance from a local lawyer. The court fee to be affixed on the suit shall be non-refundable.