Barking by neighbor's dog all night causing problem what to do

My neighbour has a garden like area at the back of her house facing towards my room. She ties her dog to a tree and leaves it at night time. The dog keeps on barking during the night destroying my sleep and my peace of mind. Thus I kindly request you to inform me about any legal remedies,if available, in order to stop this menace.Thank You. Kindly keep all communication to texting or email.

Answers (2)

335 votes

1.Talk to your neighbor gently regarding this issue.
2. Get the help of other neighbors,they also might be keep awakening beccause of the dog's barking.
3.Try to get the help from local law enforcement agencies like municipality or corporation with evidence to show that you are suffering a lot because of the dog's barking at night.(live videos, logs,letters sent (if anything)).

4. If there is no response send a legal notice.
5.file a case against them on causing nuisance. have the right to enjoy peace at your home.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

320 votes

There is no law in existence which can stop a person from keeping a pet in the house. Futhermore, there is no limit as to the no. of dogs one can keep in his house. Even if the Resident Welfare Association makes bye-laws against keeping pets, the same cannot be made binding on you as it would be a violation of your Fundamental Right to Life guaranteed under Article 21.

All your neighbor can do is register a complaint for nuisance against you but she needs to prove the same in the Court of law which is a very cumbersome process. But in any case, she cannot make the police take your dogs away, so there is no need to be afraid of her empty threats.

Moreover, if your neighbour does anything to your pets, they can be booked under Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act, 1960. Your neighbour's act would be against Article 51 A (g) of Constitution whereby a duty is cast on her to have compassion for pets.

We would also like to mention that you can register a complaint with police against your neighbour for verbal abuse (using foul language) against you.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles