Accused of 493 IPC,what shall happen if the complainant remains absent

i am accused us 493, 417 420 506 323 appreance is going on. What will happen if after examination complainant doesnt come to court. She left city one year back.

Answers (3)

60 votes

it is the duty of the state to make punish the culprit. coming to your case, if the defacto complainant left the city but, the police has to trace her and produce before the court for giving evidence. even for some more adjournments her presence was not made by the police, the police will file a memo stating the fact and then the court will proceed the case with the remaining witnesses on the list by giving up the defacto complaint's evidence..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

109 votes


The case is between the state and the accused. The defacto complainant needs to present at the time of direct examination by the prosecution and later cross examination by the defence. Once that is complete, the defacto complainant need not to be present at any stage.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
122 votes

In the event of the complainant not appearing in the court, you may ask the court to dismiss the compliant under section 256 of cr.p.c

In Sivaraman Achari v. Aggarwal and Another - 1979 KLT 319 it was held by this Court that three courses are open to the court in case complainant is absent; namely; the Magistrate may (1) acquit the accused or (2) adjourn the case to a future date or (3) dispense with the attendance of the accused and proceed with the case. Which course is to be followed in a particular case should be left to the discretion of the Magistrate. No doubt, the Magistrate is expected to exercise that discretion judiciously and in a judicial manner. Therefore, it is clear that the power under Section 256 can be exercised at any stage.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles