87 years old medically operated man sentenced for 6 months jail term

My Grandfather in law use to run grocery shop in Satara. Food officer filed a adulteration case against him 25yrs back. He is 87 yrs now and got operated for hip replacement 15 days back. Satara court have sentenced him 6 months of jail with some financial penalty . He is so week he will not be able to sustain the Jail term. He is financially very week and is not willing to take any support. Please can you guide me what are the legal options I have to keep him at home.

Thankyou for your email.

There is no exemption in imposing punishment or following the prescribed rule for being a senior citizen. The court considers the fact that the accused is a senior citizen and normally allows concession and/ or award minimum prescribed punishment terms. There is no provision to grant relaxation/ exemption to a senior citizen while taking him to custody as per law but you can always file bail in the court taking plea of health condition and eventually take this matter forward.