Should we have to change the company name after registration

We have a company XX, registered with MCA India, registred in Feb 2017. In July 2017 we received a letter from a lawyer saying that "Twitter" is his client and want you to change the name of your company because it resembles to Twitter's trademarks - "XX and XX". I want to ask that should we have to change the name? Because Twitter is a social networking website and our company is registered as IT company. Working of both is different. Also XX is not resembles to Tweet or Twitter according to us. If there is an anomaly then why MCA registered our company with this name? Or we have to act according to as per MCA letter if we get any letter from MCA instead?

Answers (2)

246 votes

Since exact names are not given in your question, it is difficult to analyse without comparison of conflicting names.

It will also depend upon how you use your company's name for marketing and branding. For example, if you use it for marketing, there might be issues if Twitter has registered substantially similar trade marks.

In short, exact answer will depend upon specific facts.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

175 votes

The documents and similarity needs to be verified before any opinion can be provided. The Document and evidence has to be clear and in writing to contest the claim of the change in name of the company.

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
8 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles