Newspaper using a random image of me without permission and insulting

In Trademark & Copyright Law
A newspaper had uploaded a picture of me along with my friend where we were checking our phones. The newspaper stated that the people in this generation are always on their phone and waste their time. They browse social media websites instead of spending time on productive apps. There is more content which I can provide when you can contact me. The article was very insulting and rude. This was taken during the lunch break when I was in my college in 2015. In my defense I am a completely opposite person and this has given a very bad and insulting impression on my personality. It was a Telugu newspaper in Hyderabad. Can I sue them and get money for this? Please let me know if I have selected the wrong drop down

Answers (2)

148 votes
with out the permission insulting the character of a person and causing damage to the personal dignity then you can apply for defamation but the limitation for filing such case is one year so please see that it is within limitation

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


255 votes
You can file a defamation case U/S 499 of IPC within 1 year from the date of publication or from the date of you coming to know of the publication(whichever is later) under section 468 of cr.p.c .
So primarily you should first issue notice to the telugu news paper to publish an apology to you failing which you should file a case u/s 499 IPC.
Yes . you are liable to claim compensation also in a defamation case.

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
27 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
10 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
29 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
38 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."