Procedure in case housing society not following the by laws

Is it compulsary to follow by-laws by a housing soiety? In our society, we have 1/2 BHK flats which varies in sizes. In our society there are total 96 flats out of which only 16 are 2 bhk and rest are 1BHK. People here are saying that the maintainance calculation would be as per sqft. All the ammenitites/services are common to both 1/2 BHK so how come they can charge for it on sqft basis? In fact bylaws clearly says which items in the maintainance are common and which are on sqft basis, but thes people are not ready to follow bylaws. Please suggest.

Answers (1)

Yes it is compulsory to follow the rules laid down in the bye-laws. You will need to object to the rules when they are being formed and you can vote for changing of the managing committee. But as a society is an Association of Persons, the will and benefit of one member cannot be given importance over the will of the collective individuals who have voted for the bye-law rules.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.5 | 16 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Notice for Faulty Product / Services

4.4 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Consumer Dispute Advice Session by Phone

4.6 | 77 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your consumer dispute issue
Similar questions

Respected Lawyer, I have filed a Plaint against Dr.lal path labs Pvt Ltd.This is a very famous Pathological lab Through out India.But It gave me a wro…

Read More

I am currently staying in Pune. Near to my flat one restaurant is there. They are charging extra money for cool drinks. For example 30 Rs cool drink i…

Read More

HI All, I had purchased a property of dimenstion 20X40 in BDA approved layout developed by HBCS. But while contruction I observed that as per layout p…

Read More

I want to know whether a RTI applicant can be treated as consumer under consumer protection act. If RTI applicant doesn't get any information from…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue