Procedure to revoke or cancel registered power of attorney

Am a Hindu by birth. A POA was given (duly registered before Magistrate) to my brother to deal in property matters some 25 Years back when I visited abroad for long settlement.Now I have returned and want to revoke or cancel the POA so given pls advise process.Shall taking over back the Origional POA be sufficient safety or some additional steps need be taken

You can revoke your power of attorney whenever you want, as long as you are mentally competent. This revocation should be in writing, signed by you in front of a notary public, and delivered to the other person or his lawyer. It should be at the same place where the POA was made. You also need to send the notice to other party.

See the power of attorney is revoked automatically as soon as the purpose for which the POA was executed is served. However, just to ensure that there are no loopholes, you can take the following steps-
1. Issue a notice in a local daily newspaper or even a national daily.
2. The donor of the POA will have to get a registered cancellation deed( registered from the office of the sub-registrar).
3. After that, the principal has to give the holder of POA the registered cancellation deed, informing him of the cancellation.

Shaniwar Peth, Pune
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow