Procedure to revoke or cancel registered power of attorney

Am a Hindu by birth. A POA was given (duly registered before Magistrate) to my brother to deal in property matters some 25 Years back when I visited abroad for long settlement.Now I have returned and want to revoke or cancel the POA so given pls advise process.Shall taking over back the Origional POA be sufficient safety or some additional steps need be taken

Answers (2)

You can revoke your power of attorney whenever you want, as long as you are mentally competent. This revocation should be in writing, signed by you in front of a notary public, and delivered to the other person or his lawyer. It should be at the same place where the POA was made. You also need to send the notice to other party.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

See the power of attorney is revoked automatically as soon as the purpose for which the POA was executed is served. However, just to ensure that there are no loopholes, you can take the following steps-
1. Issue a notice in a local daily newspaper or even a national daily.
2. The donor of the POA will have to get a registered cancellation deed( registered from the office of the sub-registrar).
3. After that, the principal has to give the holder of POA the registered cancellation deed, informing him of the cancellation.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow
4 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Sir I live in manohar park, new Delhi . There is a 2 story building in which I have small godown of paper (completely eco friendly). And I live on fir…

Read More

Hello we have been running a social welfare society for 3 years now we have to change committee, Acc to society act we must have at least 1 member fro…

Read More

Chief Judicial Magistrate passed an order against Nagar Palika, Rishikesh to decrease the house tax from Rs.5000/- pa to Rs.330/- pa. Nagar Palika is …

Read More

Hi, My parents are senior citizens, doing agriculture and staying in a village in western ghat. My father's elder brother had cut the DRINKING WAT…

Read More