2nd time depositing the cheque after issuing a notice

Hello. Can we deposit the cheque for a second time in bank after it has been returned and sending notice under S-138. What is the time period to file a complaint after the notice period expires

Answers (2)

340 votes

Dear Querist,
Yes you can do it provided the 3 months validity of the cheque period does not expire. On receipt of Bankers memo you have to issue a statutory legal notice within 30 days giving the person 15 days time to repay the cheque amount if the cheque amount is not repaid within 15 days days u can file a criminal compliant for offences committed u/s.138 of Negotiable instruments act.
Best Regards,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

91 votes

You may deposit the cheque for encashment any number of times within its limited period. If encashed, it is well and good. Otherwise, this cannot be a document to base on for filing a complaint under Section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act, if you had issued one already for one of earlier occasion wherein the cheque was returned unpaid. Also, if not filed, the complaint becomes time barred. Time limit for filing a complaint is one month (30 days) from the date of receipt cheque return intimation from the bank.
Only one legal notice can be issued.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles