Can bank sell the property which is not mortgaged to recover the loan

My partnership firm has taken credit cash/c.c loan of 1 crore from bank for this I have mortgage property worth 1.25 cr. But unfortunately our business goes in loss and I am not able to repay the loan now bank will sell out my mortgage property but the value of the property goes down to 60 lac. Now I just want to ask that whether bank can take and sell my other property which is not mortgaged to recover the loan.

Answers (2)

208 votes

It totally depend on clause mentioned in agreement signed by you and bank in relation to Loan . If it is mentioned in agreement that if your property value not able to fulfil value of loan or if loan unpaid then any property link to that loan or any other property registered in your name will sell out.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

273 votes

Banks have to follow the process and give you time to repay dues before repossessing your assets to realise the arrears.

Typically, banks initiate such proceedings under the SARFAESI Act. If the borrower’s account is classified as a non-performing asset (NPA), where repayment is overdue for 90 days, the lender has to first issue a 60 Days’ notice to the defaulter.

There are cases where the bank has sold the property of the defaulter which is not mortgaged by filing case under SARFAESI Act and involve your personal property to an initial loan taken by you.

Popular Banking / Finance Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Banking / Finance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I took education loan in 2012 from a bank of Rs.162000/- I started my instalment after one month. but due to some financial problem sometime i co…

Read More

Dear Sir, i am doing internal banking transaction with one of my friend , about amount 3lack . he have given article 12 bond e-stamp with 100 rs and h…

Read More

Had Taken loan online for 4 months.last Emi data was west January.2EMI Pending the to financial problem. Now they Had given me message that Legal noti…

Read More

Good Evening Sir  I have taken three big loans one is personal loan of Rs. 3,50,000 whose monthly emi is Rs.12133, I have pad 10 emi on time. sec…

Read More