Recovery of money lost on false promises

I have paid a considerable amount to a friend of mine, who promised of flat at low cost. After a few year I came to know that he is a fraud and cheating people. Now how can I make him legally to return my money? What action I can take against him and how to initiate this? Is there any time limit before which I have to take the action? All the amounts are transferred through bank, so I have all the transaction details on paper. Also have some phone recordings where he agreed the things about the flat.

you should issue a legal notice to the friend for the recovery of the money loaned by you.
once you issue the notice you may writ to him that you will be initiating civil recovery proceedings against him in the court of law.
once you file the suit you can also get an order of his arrest and or attachment of one of his properties.