VAT on property - who is liable to pay

I have purchased a flat in resale from a seller in May2012 and got transferred on my name by the builder. In Aug2013, builder has done registry of the flat. Now builder sending VAT demand of 1.05% of value of agreement to sale. 1. Am I liable to pay the VAT demand ? 2. If yes, on what value of flat it will be calculated ?

Answers (1)

182 votes

A builder cannot charge Value Added Tax (VAT) on transaction for sale of flat effected after he has secured completion certificate for the project from the municipal corporation, the Pune district consumer disputes redressal forum has ruled.
In an order passed on Thursday, a three-member bench of the forum, headed by its president V P Utpat, held city-based construction firm, Kshitij Promoters and Developers in Erandwane, liable for deficiency in service and unfair trade practice for wrongfully collecting 1% VAT from the purchasers of a flat and not returning the same.
The bench, which also comprised members Mohan Patankar and Kshitija Kulkarni, directed the firm and its partners, S P Paranjape and Vinayak D Gokhale, to refund the Rs 70,230 VAT that was collected from complainants Janice D'sa and Leena D'sa within six weeks from the date of order. The firm has also been ordered to pay Rs 20,000 compensation to the complainants towards physical and mental agony.
The construction firm had secured development rights for a land at Pashan and got a building plan approved by the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) on March 28, 2007.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles