Took property through GPA.How to get my name in docs?

I bought a property through GPA. Currently i am the 4th owner of the property. I have no idea about the whereabouts of the 1st owner and i am only in contact with the previous owner. The property was transferred to me through power of attorney. But the issue is that the name of the 1st owner is still there in the municipality records and other documents and by name is only there in the water and electricity bills. I have been staying here for past around 25 years. Should i execute a sale deed? What should i do?

Answers (1)

335 votes
You have to find out original owner then execute the sale deed.

Property sales through the common practice of general power of attorney (GPA) will not give ownership title to the buyer. A power of attorney is not an instrument of transfer in regard to any right, title or interest in an immovable property

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles