Time period after which a registered Release Deed cannot be challenged

I want to know after what period of time after registration, a Memorandum of Understanding aka a Release Deed cannot be challenged in court any more. The Release Deed was regarding movable and immovable property of an elderly Hindu couple living in Mumbai who passed away without a Will. They had 4 adult children, also living in Mumbai, 3 of whom released their rights to the property against monetary compensation provided by the remaining child as part of said Release Deed. I have received varying answers about the limitation period ranging from 3 years to 12 years. What is the correct period of time after which the deed cannot be challenged in court?

Answers (1)

319 votes

1. Release deed signed by 3 children in favour of one is of no consequence.
2. It is of no consequence as the right of the children to the property of their parents will arise only after the demise of their parent and not before.
3. Before the demise of the parents, the children are only presumptive heirs and cannot have any claim over their parents property and thus cannot execute any release deed.
4. So the child in whose favour the release is made cannot claim exclusive right over the properties of his parents on basis of release deed.
5. Since parents died without making a Will, their properties will devolve on their children as per law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles