quessomeone is claiming to be original owner of my land

I bought an agricultural land in Delhi in an unauthorized colony in 2004 from a property dealer on GPA, Sale deed and Will and all these documents are notary attested and registered under sub registrar as well and I am living here since that time only. Suddenly someone is claiming this land and he filed a case on this land in SDM court Delhi in Dec 2012, saying that somebody sold this land on forged documents. We got a notice from SDM court to appear in SDM court in Jan 2014. On approaching a lawyer he said one can not file the case in SDM Court after such a long time period because you are living in this house since 2004 and the person who is claiming to be the owner of this land has filed this case in SDM court in Dec 2012. He said one can file the case in SDM court within 3 years from the construction took place. And he assured us that do not worry this case will get dismissed from the SDM court on this ground and you are safe. But I am confused about the fate of this case. Kindly Guide as I do not know anything about Property Laws of Delhi.

  • ans1. Did you carry out the due diligence test before purchasing the property? If it was carried out in the manner it should have been then you should rest assured that your property will be safe. If, however, it was not carried out then you are indeed on a sticky wicket and at the mercy of this man.

    2. You have already engaged a lawyer who has advised you that legal action could not have been brought before SDM after 3 years.

    3. If any adverse order is passed against you then you do have the right to move the higher courts to challenge such an order which infringes your rights.

    4. Additionally, when you have the sale deed registered then you may file a counter case of affirming your ownership to the property and also seeking a stay order against this person to prevent him from ousting you from your property. You have not mentioned what is the value of property mentioned in sale deed, which if told would have enabled us to form an opinion on whether SDM could have dealt with your case.

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father bought a land 18 years back (in 1999) on his name and of…
Sir/ Madam, we are a joint family, my grandfather had property which further our fathers…
my mother is the second wife of my father they didn't married but they live…

Dear Experts, my brother had mortgage the property to the bank since he has to…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly