Sisters' right on father's property

My Brother-in-law has 3 sisters. 2 sisters got married before 2005 and one sister got married after 2005. His father died in 2010 and before he died he gifted all his property to his son. My Brother-in-law’s grandfather earned all these properties but he registered directly to his son’s (Brother-in-law’s father) name. So these properties directly registered to my Brother-in-law’s father name and then gifted to my Brother-in-law. Now my Brother-in-law’s sisters filed a case for property share in the court. Is there any chance for my Brother-in-law’s sisters to get a share on his property? If yes how much they can get?

Answers (1)

221 votes

It will be construed as ancestral property if it is proved that the property was bought by your Brother in law's grandfather then, the sisters of your Brother in Law can claim their rights over the property as your Brother In Law's Father died in 2010 when the 2005 amendment was in force. Although, if the same is not proved then the property will be construed as Self-Acquired Property and then the sisters can not claim their right on the property if it was transferred to your Brother in Law by way of gift deed or by a way of testament/Will.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles