Share of a daughter in parental property

My well known lady 42 yr old, is jammu born.She was married to somene from Amritsar at the age of 18, by the choice of her parents. Due to problems from her husband side she was left with no other option but to leave husband house & obtain divorce that too without alimony. From the last one year she is living like orphans & is being denied any legal right from her well to do jammu based parents side. Plesse guide in this matter so thst lady may fight for justice.

Answers (3)

340 votes

The only legal right which she may have is to a share in the parental property, however, it depends upon how many siblings she has. Further, her right to a share in the property of her father would depend on whether the subject property is ancestral property or self acquired property of her father. If so entitled, she may go for an action for partition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

284 votes

Sir, if she is unable to maintain herself for valid reasons and her parents are possessed of adequate means but refuse to maintain her an application for maintenance may be preferred in that respect. Further, she may have a right in her ancestral properties for which a more elaborate discussion is necessary

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
62 votes

I am sorry to hear about the situation of your colleague. A divorced wife is also entitled to maintenance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. There are several judgments to this effect. However, she cannot claim maintenance under this provision if it is a case of divorce by mutual consent and the woman had relinquished her right to maintenance. One may apply under the same provision of law for maintenance of the children if any which is a joint responsibility.

The provision empowers a judicial magistrate to direct an individual to pay monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife, children (both legitimate and illegitimate) and parents if there is sufficient evidence to prove that he had either neglected or refused to maintain them. An explanation appended to the provision defines the term ‘wife’ to include even a woman who had been divorced by or had obtained divorce from her husband and had not remarried. Further, Section 127 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 states that a maintenance order could not be altered unless the woman had remarried or given up her claim voluntarily or agreed for receiving a lump sum amount as per personal or customary law.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles