Seller dont have patta in his name for the property by settlement

Hi, I am planning to buy a residential land in Chennai. The seller got the ownership by the settlement(year 2013) from his brother who got the settlement(year 2011) from his mother(2 settlements within one family). But the patta and chitta is in the name of the seller's mother. While buying this property, Shall I change the patta from his mother's name to my name? Other documents are clear. Please advise me on this.

Answers (1)

56 votes

Whether the settlement documents were registered documents or just unregistered deeds?, if unregistered deed of settlement, it is not valid. What about the encumbrance certificate, whether the settlement entries reflect in it?
How did the mother acquire the property?
Is the seller having the original parent deed in his possession?, have you seen it?
What was the necessity for a second settlement deed in the same family within a span of two years?
Whether the person who settled the property in favor of his brother, the seller herein, is a married person with children ?
Why did the patta and chitta remained not transferred ?
Where is the question of Chitta adangal for residential land?
By not considering the settlement at all as a matter (if they were registered), you can get the patta transferred on your name from the seller's mother's name.
You said that other documents are clear, what are the other documents?
You need to have a proper legal opinion by an expertise lawyer who shall render his/her opinion after proper perusal/scrutinization of all relevant documents that you may produce or he may desire to see.
It is a matter of one time investment so spending few thousand on legal opinion will secure your investment hence do not hesitate to have a proper legal opinion from a good lawyer.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles