quesSeeking an amicable solution for family property under pagri system

I am staying in a house with my family and my younger brother and his family. The house is under the pagri system.Both my parents have passed away. The rent comes in my father's name. We now want to seperate.We have two opoptions either one stays or both move.If I stay after compensating my brother am I by law supposed to pay the landlord money to transfer the property in my name? If so how much? I also have a younger sister who is married but staying seperately. Does she have a right or say in the matter. Do I have to compensate her?My parents did not leave any will .Please advice .

  • ans

    If you occupy a tenanted property which stood in your deceased father name but now you want that to have your name ,then definitely the landlord will ask for his share for this but if you continue to live in the property then after the death of your father the contractual tenant you and your brother had become the statuary tenant can be evicted from the property according to the Rent Control Act applicable to your city/state.


    After the death of your father being a statuary tenant ,the tenancy will not pass on to you as only contractual tenancy and cannot be  inherited . What it means in that case either you pay the amount of money asked in the form of 'Pagri' to the landlord & become the new contractual tenant with the tenancy in your name or you . You will have to pay   10- 33%to the land lord for the transfer.


    As stated above this is not inherited, so you will have to neither compensate her or your brother.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My Sister-in-law and I purchased a property in 2014. It is a one-story individual house.…
We have propery cases going on since the time of my great grand father...i come…
I purchased a flat in Emaar MGF Palm Garden, Gurgaon. The builder has cheated by…
My grandfather has some property and he is fed up with his children and does…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly