Sale of adversely possessed property without the court's judgement

Assuming a Hindu seller satisfies legal conditions for adverse possession of property in Maharashtra but has not pleaded it in court, is there a way to sell this adversely possessed property without getting a court judgment or will the buyer require a court judgment in favor of the seller's adverse possession claim?

Answers (2)

274 votes

Following problems can arise due to sale of property possessed by adverse possession:

1. There is no clear title to the property;
2. Every sale deed or transactions made with respect to the property are not valid in law;
3. Every next person who deals with the property will never attain a clear title to the property and can become a
complicated legal dispute in the future;

It is always advisable to complete all the legal processes and then proceed with the sale of the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

242 votes

This is ridiculous . Adverse possession is not way of acquiring ownership over property. Even you can not approach court for seeking such declaration of ownership. So you can not transfer property based upon this concept.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles