Rights of wife and child of a man threatening them to leave his house

29-Apr-2023 (In Property Law)
My father is an alcoholic. Ground floor of the property his self acquired by him but registered in my mother’s name who is a housewife. I am a married daughter living with my parents from the time I am married and takecare of home expenses. Me and my sister both constructed first floor in my fathers property to give our parents a source of income and for us to live together as well. We paid off all our fathers loan for which he gave us a land. Later I spent to construct 1st floor, spent for my sis marriage (unfortunately she got divorce and came back home with a daughter). I took care of all my parents medical and other expense and we also get rental from ground floor. My father is now abusing all of us and asking all of us to leave the house including our mom and says it’s is self acquired property and the land he gave is to construct first floor. What rights do we have now? Please suggest
Answers (1)

Answer #1
911 votes
As you say that the property stands in the name of your mother, your father has no right to evict you. Request your mother to gift the property to you and to your sister. Let your father contest in a court of law.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."