Rights of Daughters on Father's property under Christian Law

My late father owned a rented appartment in Mumbai , now the building is going for re-development. We are from Kerala Christian community. We are 4 girls and 1 son we are all married . My brother his wife and son lives in my fathers appartment in Mumbai. The house is still in my fathers name , he died 17 years back, and my brother died 10 years after. Now since the appartment is being redeveloped what is the claim on my fathers appartment , do the daughters have a claim on this appartment. My brothers wife is all out to transfer the flat into her name, is this possible. 

Answers (1)

97 votes

Every child has an equal share as per law,your brothers wife is entitled to the claim which your brother was entitled to, only that part. And she is entitled because she is known as a dependant and so is your widowed mother. Don't worry about it, legally all the children have a equal right unless it is expressly mentioned in the will of your father otherwise.
Good luck
Take care

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles