Right to property of child from second Hindu marriage

If a Hindu man marries another woman without divorcing the first one, which is against the Hindu Marriage Act, does the child born out of the second marriage have any right to the man's property? What are the laws which can safeguard this child (property and otherwise)?

Answers (1)

57 votes

Even though  second marriage under Hindu Marriage Act is null and void, any child of such a marriage, who would have been legitimate had the marriage been valid, shall be deemed legitimate. This legal fiction of legitimacy has been created so that children of void and voidable marriages do not suffer for no fault of theirs. However, children of void and voidable marriages are entitled to a right in the property of only their parents, not other relatives. And they do not enjoy an interest in coparcenary property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles