Right to claim share over self acquired property of father in law.

we are living in a joint family.the business was also running jointly.but now business is separated. Before this separation all the income of the business was going to my father in law. He has built a house.doesnt my husband has right on this house.but we are still in joint only.

Answers (2)

162 votes

Any income generated, and assets acquired from joint family funds is entitled to be divided equally among all members of the joint family. This of course depends on the definition of joint family.

If your father-in-law was running a business, which he started from his own funds, and your husband started working with your father-in-law in the same business, your husband does not get rights over the house or any asset that your father-in-law may have acquired from the income that he earned from that business.

If your father-in-law, however, was running a business, which he started from the funds that were initially generated from ancestral wealth, in that event, your husband will have equal rights as your father-in-law over the income and assets generated from that business.

This of course, depends on the nature of Joint Family, how many members constituted the joint family, and how were the joint family and assets divided

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

218 votes

Yes, If the said house is constructed in the Joint Family property or if the said house is built by using the funds of the said Joint Family property, then your husband has every right in such a house.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles