Property succession and sale in India

My uncle and his wife are owners of property in India, India which they were planning to sell. Recently my Uncle's wife passed away. They have two children. What is the procedure that my Uncle and/or his children have to follow in order to legalise the succession and sell the property? Would appreciate full details if possible.

Answers (1)

187 votes

Dear Sir,

Your Uncle's and his children will have to apply for a succession certificate before the court . A succession means if a person dies without leaving a will, a succession certificate can be granted by the court to realize the debts and securities of the deceased. It establishes the authenticity of the heirs and gives them the authority to have securities and other assets transferred in their names as well as inherit debts.

The application for a succession certificate can be filed either whether the person who dies lived permanently (In India) or where a major portion of the property in respect of which such certificate is required is located. It is a legal proceedings and it takes around 6 months maximum for the court to grant such certificate,

Once this is done the property can be easily transferred in the name of the successors by applying before the sub registrar. Please feel free to contact if you require further assistance

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles