Property given by father through Will. Can sister claim share in it?

Can my sister claim her share in a commercial property that was Willed to me by my father? I have a shop in South Ex (Delhi), and it is a commercial shop and my bread earning. It's on my father's name and we are three brothers and one sister.

My brothers agreed to transfer the shop on my name but my sister is asking for her share. My dad wrote a will in my favour but it's not registered.

Can my sister claim her share in my shop?

Answers (1)

133 votes

The Delhi Govt. has recently notified that the unregistered Will may not be considered as substantial proof of ownership for its beneficiary, until and unless the beneficiary obtains and submits a succession certificate / probate order of such unregistered Will from a competent court of law.

So if your dad has written the Will in your favour, then you can file a probate petition for the grant of succession certificate in the Court of Law and if it is proved that the Will is genuine and it's validity is not contested by anyone, then the Court will grant the probate in your favour and you shall get the shop. 

You sister can only claim a share if the property was a coparcenary property and not a self-acquired property, but in your case it is your shop registered in your fathers name which means that it is your self acquired property in your fathers name and he has drafted a will in your favour. So she cannot claim a share in the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles